Advice, support and consultations
There are plenty of services in Leeds that can offer you help and support if you are considering an abortion. For advice and support including pregnancy choices you can also visit a Leeds Sexual Health clinic.
If you are in Leeds and are eligible for NHS treatment you can self-refer into BPAS or Marie Stopes for an abortion service. This means that you don't need to go to a GP or sexual health service to be referred.
- BPAS Leeds
BPAS Leeds provides early medical abortion up to 10 weeks and surgical abortion up to 12 weeks. BPAS also offer contraception methods, chlamydia screening, HIV screening and pre and post abortion counselling.
To contact BPAS please call: 03457 30 40 30 - calls are answered 24/7
- Marie Stopes International
Marie Stopes UK Leeds provides medical abortion up to 9 weeks and surgical abortion up to 19 weeks. Marie Stopes UK also offers free pre and post abortion counselling, contraception methods, STI testing (including confidential and fast HIV tests), sexual health screening and female sterilisation. Appointments are given within 3 days of contacting the service.
To contact Marie Stopes UK please call: 0345 300 8090 - calls are answered 24/7, fill in their enquiry form or request a call back.
There is also the Fertility Control Unit at St James' Hospital in Leeds. You cannot self-refer into this service because it is for women with an existing medical condition.
- Fertility Control Unit
FCU provides surgical abortions up to 14 weeks and medical abortions up to 16 weeks for women with one of the following medical conditions:
- Uncontrolled epilepsy or seizure within last 12 months.
- Uncontrolled diabetes.
- Uncontrolled asthma (hospital admission or oral steroids within the past 3 months).
- Uncontrolled or symptomatic thyrotoxicosis.
- Symptomatic cardiac disease.
- Current of recent sickle cell crisis.
- Malignant hyperthermia.
- Hypertension 160/190 maximum.
- Chronic disease with systemic illness- liver, renal, autoimmune, cancer.
- Cystic fibrosis.
- Bleeding disorders or current anticoagulant therapy.
For referrals please call: 0113 206 7135
The service is open Tuesday afternoons and Thursday mornings for consultation.
If you aren't sure if you can use this service please contact BPAS or Marie Stopes. An assessment can be made with regards to your suitability for treatment.
If you are under the age of 19, support with pregnancy choices is also available from Include (Women's Health Matters) on 0113 201 6692 or the Teenage Pregnancy Midwife on 07796614116.
- What can I expect from these services?
- An appointment for consultation within 5 working days of calling the service.
- An appointment for procedure within 2 weeks of calling the service.
- A consultation to discuss future contraception needs.