Trans is an umbrella term used to describe any gender identity where the assigned sex at birth does not match present gender identity. Identities can fit within the binary (female or male) or outside of it. There is a whole spectrum of non-binary gender identities.
What is gender identity?
Gender identity is a person’s sense of self as male, female, both or neither. This is different to biological sex, which includes physical attributes such as genitalia, gonads, sex hormones and internal reproductive structures.
- There are many kinds of gender identities. These include, but are not limited to:
- Agender: people who find that they have no gender.
- Androgyne: having both feminine and masculine qualities.
- Aporagender: different from male, female or anything in between, and isn’t an absence of gender.
- Cisgender: identifying as the gender that was assigned at birth.
- Demigirl: identifying partially as a woman but not wholly.
- Demiguy: identifying partially as a man but not wholly.
- Genderfluid: identifying as different genders at different times.
- Genderqueer: someone who identifies outside of the gender binary. This can be used as a specific identity or an umbrella term.
- Multigender: people who have more than one gender identity, either at the same time or sometimes changing between them (e.g. bigender people identify as two genders).
- Neutrois: gender neutral (neither female nor male).
- Non-binary: those who identify outside of the gender binary (those who don’t identify as just male or female). This can be used as an umbrella term or its own identity.
- Transgender: identifying as a gender other than the one assigned at birth.
What do FTM and MTF mean?
FTM: female to male, a Trans man. A transgender person who was assigned female at birth but whose gender identity is male.
MTF: male to female, a Trans woman. A transgender person who was assigned male at birth but whose gender identity is female.
Please note that these terms have fallen out of use more recently as language is constantly evolving.
Where can I get support?
There are a variety of groups and services that provide support to Trans people in Leeds.
Transtastic is a Trans* youth group for people aged 13 to 18 years old who identify as Trans*. It is run through the Leeds City Council Youth Services and it aims to support Trans* people with a wide range of activities and mutual peer support.
They provide group work on issues affecting young people, trips out and residential weekends with other LGTBQ/LGBTQ friendly groups from around the country. They also run social activities such as DJ workshops, dance, photography, self defence, graffiti art, film nights, bowling, and much more.
Transtastic meets on alternate Thursdays, (alternating with Out 2 18) at a city centre location (6.30pm – 8.30pm).
If you’re interested or want to know more, call Sam on 07712214421 or 07545604329.
- Trans Leeds
Trans Leeds is a social and support group for all Trans people. It runs various social groups, including one in Leeds.
Trans Leeds provides:
- A safe & confidential space.
- Experienced volunteers who can meet in confidence.
- Practical help with living in a new gender role, whether full time or part time.
- Information and guidance on Trans issues.
- Trans awareness workshop.
- Guidance on working with / employing Trans people.
Trans Leeds is an organisation working towards improved awareness, equality, support and resources for trans people throughout Yorkshire. As an umbrella group, they assist trans people, trans support groups, service providers, employers and charities to connect with each other. They want to see organisations across Yorkshire responding in a better way to the needs of the diverse trans community. They believe that everyone – regardless of gender expression or identity – has the right to feel safe, and are committed to eliminating discrimination and harassment against trans people.
Meetings are in Leeds on the first and third Monday of the month from 6.00pm to 8.00pm. It is a great opportunity to meet up with other trans people and to make friends at the Yorkshire MESMAC meeting room.
Trans Leeds is run by trans members who kindly volunteer and will give a warm welcome to new visitors. If you would like further details or directions then please email email@example.com
- STI Testing
Leeds Sexual Health offer free and confidential STI testing, which is always open to trans and non-binary people.
- You don't have to use your real name
- Testing is not linked to your medical record
- You can perform your own 3-site testing (self-swabbing)
- Gender neutral clinic setting
- We will always respect your identity
Check out our clinic timetable to find a drop-in or book an appointment
We always welcome feedback - let us know how we're doing here
Where can I get more information?
Leeds Gender Identity Service
The Leeds gender identity service offers assessment and support to people with gender dysphoria who want to explore the possibility of transition into their true gender.
For more information please visit their website.
Leeds Gender Identity Service
1st floor Newsam Centre
Office Telephone: 0113 8556346
Nonbinary.org- visibility, education and resources.
Mermaids- a charity for trans young people (aged 19 and under) and their families.