Leeds Skyline provides support services for anyone living with or affected by HIV in Leeds. Their team of experienced Support Workers develop support plans tailored to the individual’s needs.
How Skyline can help:
- Skyline offers one-to-one emotional support, cognitive behavioural therapy, information and advice on a number of issues (including treatment, benefits, housing and finances), structured and peer support groups, training and workshops, mental health support and complementary therapies.
- The service provides a non-judgmental, confidential and welcoming space in an easily accessible city centre venue. Facilities are also available for service users to meet together and link into wider networks.
- Skyline's prevention service works within African communities to raise awareness of HIV, encourage early testing, reduce the number of new infections and challenge stigma and prejudice. Activities include training, workshops and information sessions, 121 information and advice, talks, positive speaking and condom distribution.
- STI testing: Only Gonorrhoea and Chlamydia
- Contraception: Only once monthly when our mini-clinic is running (check Skyline's website for more information).
Supporting you with:
- One-to-one support
Emotional support, advice and information on a number of issues including:
- Emotional needs.
- HIV treatment information and management.
- Immigration, housing, welfare benefits and hardship grants.
- Developing coping strategies.
- Emotional and practical help to support you and your family.
- Issues relating to pregnancy, childbirth and children.
- Group sessions
Skyline currently provides a number of support groups and drop-in sessions for individuals, families, children and young people living with or affected by HIV. People with similar experiences can come together to share their thoughts and feelings. The groups provide individuals with the opportunity to talk through issues and develop coping strategies. Pleas call the office for further information about up coming events, or to request relevant training.
- Complementary therapies
Skyline offers a range of complementary therapies, including massage, reflexology, reiki and acupuncture. These therapies have many benefits including relief from stress, pain and side effects, relaxation and general well being.
- Training and workshops
Skyline provides a number of opportunities to learn new skills and develop learning including positive self management, HIV treatments information, confidence and self esteem building, relationships and disclosure and many more. They also provide training and information sessions for professionals and groups, as well as running a positive speakers’ programme.
- You and your community
- Delivering information sessions to community groups and teams.
- Giving 1-2-1 advice.
- Challenging myths and stigma relating to HIV and helping African communities to realize and acknowledge their risk of HIV through community initiatives.
- Delivering information sessions to professionals working across health and support sectors in Leeds.
- Supporting HIV positive African pregnant women and families considering pregnancy to reduce the risk of transmission of HIV to their baby.
- Promoting access to free condoms, lubricant and other resources for African communities and people living with HIV in Leeds.
- Empowering African communities through signposting to relevant health services available in Leeds.
- Community outreach
Skyline works with African community groups, individuals and other organizations to deliver key messages aimed at preventing HIV and STI transmission.
This includes basic information on HIV and AIDS:
- HIV acquisition & transmission.
- Busting myths around HIV.
- HIV testing and treatment.
- Correct and consistent condom use.
- Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP).
- HIV stigma.
- Confidentiality and HIV.
- HIV disclosure and support.
Skyline shares information at events and activities such as football tournaments and community group meetings, as well as delivering workshops to any group interested in finding out more about how to protect themselves and their loved ones.
Telephone: 0113 244 9767
If you are deaf or hard of hearing, please text: 0797 643 5062
4th Floor Gallery House
131 The Headrow
For more information, please visit Skyline's website.
Facebook: BHA Leeds Skyline
Twitter: BHA Leeds Skyline